Saturday, August 30, 2008

Your Black Sports: Bengals' Johnson legally changes name to Ocho Cinco








By Steven A. Gilley Stevengilley15@aol.com

Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson has made the news again. This time it is not for his antics, but for legally changing his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco in Broward County, Fla. according to several media outlets.

Johnson, who lives in Miami, adopted the name 'Ocho Cinco' two years ago. The name refers to his jersey No. 85 in Spanish. On the team's Web site, he offered an explanation for the change.

"It's something I don’t think anyone has ever done before," he said. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I’m having fun."

During the preseason, Johnson had bone spurs removed from his ankle and has been limited on the field. However, He is expected to be ready for the season opener against Baltimore.

1 comment:

Don said...

When I first heard this, I thought it was a joke. Surely Chad Johnson loves the nickname but not enough to actually change his legal name to Ocho Cinco...

I was wrong.