Friday, August 29, 2008

Your Black Sports: NFL Reinstates Cowboys' Adam Jones



By Steven A. Gilley
Stevengilley15@aol.com

The artist formerly known as 'Pacman' received great news today from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. He was fully reinstated and able to play with the Dallas Cowboys this season.

After Adam Jones was told he could practice and play in preseason games, Goodell still waited to rule whether to let Jones play in the regular season. However, Jones was told to stay out of trouble and now he has been given a chance at redemption.

"I've been waiting for this time for a long time, but it's not like we won a Super Bowl," Jones said after hearing about his reinstatement. "I know my responsibilities to the NFL and I'm going to hold my own and do what I need to do to make sure I stay where I am right now, which is reinstated."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an e-mail that Goodell planned no comment regarding the reinstatement. Jones said he spoke to Aiello, but not the commissioner.

Jones has received congratulatory messages from coaches, teammates, and players across the league. However, one of his most important allies in this process has been his attorney, agent and friend, Manny Arora.

"I think from the beginning there were a lot of critics saying that this couldn't be done, that he couldn't turn his life around," said Arora. "I'm very happy for Adam. He's proven everyone wrong. He's got a very bright personal and professional future."

Jones has practiced with the team under the assumption that he will be reinstated, playing in the the first three preseason games. The Cowboys season opener is Sept. 7 at Cleveland and Jones will take the field for the first time in 20 months.

No comments: