Sunday, December 2, 2007

Why the BCS Bowls are Worthless


I admit that I was elated to see my Ohio State Buckeyes playing in the national championship game again. This is the third time in Jim Tressel’s short career that he has been able to pull this one off. Much respect. But as much as I love my Buckeyes and are happy to see them in the title game, I have to say that the BCS is really nothing but BS.
I sat watching a game tonight in which I heard two commentators describing the BCS Bowls like physicists in a nuclear fusion lab:
”Well, if Team A wins against Team B, then that will put teams C, D or E in the Corporate Bowl, but if Team B wins against Team A, then Teams F, G and I may have a chance to make it to Corporate Bowl #2.”
And I thought that graduate school was complicated.
The truth is this: this BCS stuff makes college football far more complicated than it needs to be. It is also ridiculous and unfair, all for the sake of making extra money. The top two teams in this silly poll are the ones that end up playing for the title, while all the other top teams end up playing in games that don’t mean jack. We are convinced that they mean jack by the officials telling us that one bowl is a BCS Bowl and the other one is not. But that’s all dumb. The only difference between a BCS Bowl and the other meaningless bowls out here is the amount of money the university gets for winning the damn thing. If my team is not in the title game, I could care less if they are in a BCS Bowl or not.
Put it this way: If the college basketball champion were chosen in the same way as the football champion, Kansas would have won 4 or 5 national basketball championships in the 1990s. But the NCAA tournament doesn’t make you the champion just because you have a high seed: it makes you earn it on the court. The same should be true for the football champion.
What is really unfair is that talented teams like Hawaii, the only undefeated team that I know of, won’t get a chance to play in the title game. I’ve seen this team play, they are amazing. I would love to see them face up against my Buckeyes, and there is no guarantee that my Buckeyes would win.
As the techy capitalists keep trying to come up with one ridiculous system after another to explain why they don’t let teams settle it on the field, they should realize that there is no substitute for a playoff…point blank.

No comments: